How to use shaving cream
How to apply shaving cream
- Simply prep your face by cleansing as normal and rinse with warm water.
- Before drying, apply an even layer of shaving cream across your upper lip, cheeks, jaw, chin and neck, applying anywhere you’re intending to shave.
- Shave as normal in the direction of hair growth, rinsing your razor blades with each stroke.
- Rinse your face generously with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel
- Don’t forget to soothe freshly shaved skin with an after shave product to keep skin cool, moisturised and refreshed.
Should I use shaving cream?
If you’re using a manual razor instead of an electric razor, some may ask - do you need shaving cream? And what's shaving cream for? A shaving gel, cream, foam or oil helps to cushion skin against nicks, cuts and razor burn. Without a shaving cream, you may find that your face is harder to shave and more prone to irritation during and after your shave. The best shaving cream also helps to soften hairs before they’re removed, improving your shave and making the job smoother and easier than ever.
What shaving cream should I use?
If you’re looking to try a shaving cream, you may see the options available and wonder how they differ, as well as what best suits your skin type and needs. The majority of shaving creams fall into four main categories according to their texture and consistency - creams, gels, oils and foams. Creams and oils tend to be heavier and moisturising, whereas foams and gels are fresher and more cooling on the skin. All shaving formulas are designed to make wet shaving easier and minimise skin irritation.
When to use shaving cream:
Unsure when to use shaving cream in your grooming routine? Shaving cream is applied after you’ve washed your face and before you shave. Simply apply to a clean, wet face over cheeks, chin, upper lip, jawline and neck. Shaving cream is formulated to soften stubble and protect your skin against any nicks or cuts from your razor. If you’re looking for a product to use after shaving to soothe skin, we recommend using an after shave product.
How long should shaving cream sit?
Shaving cream does not need to ‘sit’ for any length of time before shaving. You can simply apply shaving cream straight after washing your face and begin shaving. If you leave shaving cream to sit, it may dry on your skin and be less effective in protecting your skin and softening hairs before you shave. Shaving cream should always be applied to a wet face to ensure efficacy and minimise irritation.
Is shaving cream the same as shaving foam?
Both shaving cream and shaving foam are applied before shaving. The only difference between shaving cream and shaving foam is the texture and consistency. As the names suggest, a cream is more like a lotion in consistency, whilst a foam has tiny microbubbles that may become thicker when rubbed into the face. Choosing between the two comes down to personal preference, as both do the same job of protecting your face before you shave.
Should I use shaving cream with an electric shaver?
In general, you should not use shaving cream with an electric shaver unless it is a wet shave electric shaver, which is designed to be used with a shaving cream or similar product.
How to use shaving oil
New to shaving oils? Here’s how to use a pre-shave oil:
- Dispense 3-5 drops of shaving oil into your hands and rub together to warm the oil
- Massage liberally into a clean, damp face and neck over the areas you wish to shave
- Begin shaving as normal in the direction of hair growth, rinsing the razor blades with each stroke
- Rinse your face with warm water to remove any stray hairs and pat dry with a clean towel
- Apply an aftershave soother to minimise skin irritation post-shave
Questions in the same category
Often the result of an accumulation of fatty deposits, cellulite can also be aqueous or fibrous. Clarins explains everything you need to know.
Sculpting your thighs: use an anti-cellulite product, as well as embracing a healthy diet and exercise. These three steps are key to the Clarins' approach to slimming down!
Do slimming products really work? At Clarins, the answer is a resounding yes: learn more about our three-step key to slimming and our range of slimming products.
To prevent water retention, Clarins recommends three key steps: a healthy, varied diet, exercise and a targeted slimming product.