skin's health and beauty Sun protector
« Our philosophy when creating a product is naturally to protect against sunburn, but also to protect against what you cannot see or feel, which means all the damage caused well before sunburn appears. » Lionel de Benetti, President of Clarins Laboratories.
Clarins Multi-Cellular Protection Sun Care products are designed as genuine sun beauty products which let you develop an even, long-lasting tan while preserving the skin’s health and youthful beauty.
The calculation of UVB protection is standardised at international level and determines the SPF. The calculation of UVA protection is not standardised at international level. However, the minimum level of UVA protection should be of a protection factor equivalent to 1/3 of the SPF (i.e. for SPF15, a minimum level of 5). If this ratio of 1/3 is respected, the UVA protection is indicated on the packaging by the "UVA" logo under the sun protection factor (SPF).
Very high protection (SPF 50+)
for very sun-sensitive skin or skin exposed to very strong sun.
High protection (SPF 30)
For sun-sensitive fair skin, or in
Moderate protection (SPF 15-20)
For skin that tans easily, or in
Low protection (SPF 6-10)
For darker skin tones and already tanned skin,
or in weak sunlight.
Soothe skin and
prolong a tan After sun
Since skin damage linked to sun exposure continues well after exposure, Clarins has used all its sun care expertise to create its range of After Sun Skin Soothers:
• They immediately relieve feelings of heat, to soothe the skin.
• The skin feels soft and satin-smooth. It is prepared for sun exposure the following day.
• Your tan is more radiant and lasts longer.
A refreshing and soothing gel, a rich and nourishing cream, a self-tanning after sun care, a specific after sun for the face and décolleté or an intensive soothing after sun... the choice is yours!
Sunburn is the sign that the skin has been aggressed by UV rays during intense exposure to the sun. The burn is of varying degrees. Light sunburn involves an increase in skin temperature and redness and corresponds to a first degree burn. Severe sunburn causes the appearance of small blisters and is a second degree burn.
Moisturiser and after sun,
what is the difference?
A moisturiser certainly rehydrates the skin but will not soothe it like an after sun. After sun brings relief to skin affected by sunburn, prolongs and enhances a tan and also prepares skin for exposure the following day.
For a perfect tan,
with or without sun
Clarins has created a range of 7 Self Tanners to suit everyone, from beginners to pros, and has advice on how to obtain an incredibly natural-looking tan, without sun :
• Exfoliate skin the day before, to eliminate dead skin cells and encourage an even tan.
• Moisturise the skin with your regular moisturiser.
• Apply the self tanner with light smoothing motions, starting with the feet (avoid the soles) and finishing with the neck and face.
• Use a damp tissue to gently wipe the eyebrows and hairline after application.
• Wash hands and nails thoroughly after application.
• If necessary, repeat application 3 hours later, to intensify the tanning action.
• The skin's pH: the lower (more acid) the skin's pH (at the time of applying the self tanner), the more the colour will look natural and less yellowy-orange. So it is recommended to use soap with a physiological pH, as the skin's pH is naturally acid (5-6).
• Moisturisation of the skin: the self tanning reaction can only occur in the presence of water, so it is important for the skin to be moisturised to obtain optimal results.
Self tanners and UV, does a self
tan protect against UV?
The colouring of the skin from a self tanner does not protect skin against UV rays!
Unlike melanin pigments which form during sun exposure, melanoidins do not give protection against UV.
That's why the colour obtained from a self tanner is called a "fake tan" and why you must use a protective sun care whenever you are in the sun.